Dental Implants in Westbury
JM Dental of Westbury provides dental implants in Westbury, New York. Call 516-334-3444 or contact us today to learn more and schedule an appointment.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a replacement option for missing teeth or teeth that are too decayed or damaged to be saved. A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is surgically placed in the bone of your jaw. It is made of titanium, a biocompatible material that fuses with the bone to form a solid bond that can support an artificial tooth. Two dental implants can support a bridge, and 4-6 dental implants can be placed strategically throughout your jaw to support full dentures or a permanent bridge.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are considered to be the highest quality tooth replacement option available in dentistry due to their many benefits:
- Natural function. Once a dental implant has fused with the bone, it provides the same bite and chewing strength as a healthy, natural tooth.
- Natural appearance. Dental implants look very natural because they are anchored in the jaw in the same way as your natural teeth and the porcelain crown resembles natural tooth enamel.
- Prevents bone loss. When one or more teeth are missing, the support structures for those teeth, including the jaw bone, will weaken and eventually dissolve. But dental implants prevent bone loss in the jaw and may even help to regenerate lost bone tissue.
- Can last a lifetime. The bond between the bone and the titanium implant is strong enough to last for the rest of your life in most cases, as long as you take good care of your teeth.
- Does not harm adjacent teeth. Dental implants exist independently of your other teeth. They don’t rely on healthy teeth for support the way dental bridges do. If anything, they help your adjacent teeth by keeping them in the proper position in your mouth.
Services We Provide
We provide the following dental implant services:
- Placement. We provide dental implant placement to replace one or more teeth.
- Restoration. If you have a dental implant that is loose or has come out of place, we can restore or replace it.
- Digital Implant Planning. We use digital technology to plan for the placement of a dental implant. We first assess the bone density in your jaw to ensure there is enough bone structure to support an implant. Then we use guided placement technology to place your implant at the correct angle and depth.
- Full Arch Implant Restoration. When all of the teeth in the upper or lower jaw need to be replaced, we provide full arch implant restorations, or implant supported dentures.
Are You a Good Candidate for Implants?
If you’re considering dental implants, you’ll need an evaluation to determine whether or not you are a good candidate. To be eligible for dental implants you’ll need to have sufficient bone structure in the jaw to support implants. If you don’t, a bone graft procedure can thicken the existing bone structure and encourage regeneration of lost bone tissue. It may take a bit more time to prepare, but most patients can become candidates for dental implants even if you aren’t at first.
Why Choose JM Dental?
One of the biggest advantages of coming to JM Dental of Westbury is our advanced technology and experience. Using digital implant planning we can increase the chances of successful implant placement and make the procedure less invasive for faster recovery. That combined with decades of experience in dentistry makes us uniquely qualified to provide dental implant procedures.
We strive to make sure you are comfortable and relaxed during each visit to our office. From routine cleanings to dental procedures, we want to make each experience a positive one. Please share any concerns you may have about your dental health with us so that we can provide the highest quality of care
Frequently Asked Questions About Dental Implants
What is the success rate of dental implants?
Overall, the success rate of dental implants is about 98%. However, this is only the case if you practice good oral hygiene habits and follow your dentist’s instructions for follow-up care.
How long does the process take?
The procedure to place a dental implant may take between 30 minutes to 1 hour. The entire process to get your complete restoration can take anywhere from a few months to a year. The implant is placed in one appointment and allowed to heal and fuse with the bone before the abutment and crown are attached. In some cases a temporary tooth can be placed at the same time as the implant.
Are dental implants covered by insurance?
Most dental insurance plans do not cover dental implants. However, there are some insurance providers that do offer plans that include coverage for implants. Contact your insurance provider to determine whether or not you have coverage for dental implants and if not, how you can go about getting coverage. We would be happy to help you choose between plans.
Does dental implant placement hurt?
Dental implants can be placed with local anesthesia in most cases, which prevents you from feeling pain during the procedure. Our office is equipped with nitrous oxide or “sweet air” that can also help you feel comfortable. If you need it, additional sedation options are available to help you feel more relaxed.
Are implant supported dentures better than traditional dentures?
There are many advantages of implant supported dentures over traditional dentures. Besides preventing further bone loss in the jaw bone, they are more secure so that they stay in place when you chew and talk. This also makes them more comfortable as they slip around less and won’t pinch or irritate your gums.Their stability allows for a wider range of food choices.